Transfer to U-M


Thank you for considering the University of Michigan.  We continually seek the leaders and best, with transfer students being an integral part of our campus community. 

The U-M Office of Undergraduate Admissions handles transfers for the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, and the College of Engineering.  For information about transferring to other U-M schools and colleges, please contact their admissions representatives directly.  

A successful U-M transfer student to the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts:

  • Is in good academic and social standing at his/her prior institution.
  • Has a distinguished record of college work, earning a cumulative GPA of at least a B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) or better.
  • Has earned sophomore or junior standing (preferably) with transferable credit earned at a community college or another two or four -year college or university.

A successful U-M transfer student to the College of Engineering will have completed prerequisite courses at their current school with a minimum GPA. GPA requirements vary by department and may change at any time.  Non-native speakers of English must provide proof of English proficiency. 

Affording Michigan

We’ll do whatever we can to remove the financial barriers for a transfer student whom we feel would truly enhance our campus culture and community.  At Michigan, we work to empower you with scholarships, loans and work-study programs so you can meet the financial requirements to attend. Consider this. Last year:

  • 70 percent of resident students were awarded financial aid.
  • 92 percent of resident financial aid applicants in the $40,000 to $60,000 income range received need-based grants covering 100% of tuition
  • U-M awarded more than $322 million in undergraduate gift aid, loans and work-study opportunities.

For detailed information on financial aid opportunities for transfer students, visit the Office of Financial Aid

Please note that U.S. citizens and U.S. Permanent Resident Aliens are eligible for financial aid consideration. International students on temporary visas such as the student visa are not eligible for financial aid consideration.