Non-Degree Applicants

If you have completed an undergraduate degree and would like to take courses during the fall or winter terms at U-M, you can do so by filling out the Non-Degree Application. This program is open only to students who are not seeking another undergraduate degree.

Non-degree seeking students who wish to take courses at U-M during spring and summer terms should complete the Guest Application.

International Non-Degree Applicants

It’s important to review our International Students admissions information. While many of the requirements are the same for non-degree applicants, please note the following information:

  • The application process: Although no application fee is required, you will need to submit official documentation of satisfactory academic achievement in earlier academic course work translated into English.
  • Non-native speakers: You are required to submit official MELAB, TOEFL, or IELTS results. For more information, please click here
  • Your admission notification: You will not be able to register until the first day of classes. If you are applying to a school or college outside of LSA, the counseling office for that unit can help. Once you’ve been admitted, you will be sent a letter of admissibility and a certificate of eligibility for an appropriate nonimmigrant visa.
  • The registration process: If you register on the first day of classes, you may enroll only in those courses that still have spaces for additional students and for which you are qualified. Under immigration law, persons with F-1 and J-1 visas  must register for a full-time course load (12 or more credits) during fall and winter terms (6 or more credits in spring half or summer half terms).
  • Your orientation: Non-degree students are not required to attend the orientation program; however, you are strongly encouraged to do so.
  • Your housing options: Although non-degree students have no priority for on-campus housing, the Housing Office should be able to place you in a residence hall if you so desire.

Financial aid: No loans or scholarships are available to non-degree students, although you can request permission to work part-time.